Last week I escaped off to the Outer Banks- Nags Head, to be exact. It’s been two years since I’ve gotten away for a full week (that didn’t involve coaching Dustin with the UFC). I cannot even begin to tell you how awesome it was to just get away, lay on a beach, read, maybe have a few drinks, and take some time away from the business! However, because it’s what I love to do more than anything, I spent a lot of time planning for the gym, as well as reading about strength & conditioning. Along with the reading, the beach gave me an opportunity to think about self-development outside of the business, and time to set some personal goals.
It gave me time to realize that I am lacking in a few areas of my life (yes, I am willing to admit that).
Before you read on, I’ll warn you… this post is about me today. If that bores you, move on.
- Meal planning. Since opening Beyond Strength Performance NOVA, almost two years ago, I have put everybody else first. I have said yes to almost everything asked of me, and in the process allowed my personal diet to slide worse and worse.You’ve probably seen the multitude of transformations I’ve posted of my clients over the past few years. Impressive, huh? Well, my personal “transformation” has been pretty stale. I’m not saying that I’m in bad shape, but I have not moved forward, from a composition standpoint, at all in the last year plus. Sure, I’ve gotten stronger, but I’m not happy with where I’m at overall.Todd, being the great friend that he is, hit me up to tell me that I’m skinny fat after seeing a pic from the beach this year… Now, I know that he’s joking and he’s truly just jealous of the fact that I made it through a week at the beach without burning (that’s ahellofanaccomplishment for us red beards). But, my own tranformation, or lack thereof, has been eating me up for quite a while now, and I finally decided that enough is enough. So I made a bet with Todd that I could deadlift 500# (my current best is 455#) by the end of September, and be shredded again at the same time.
I’ve found that the best thing to do in the case of stressors is to write them down, take a step back, and look at how you can knock them out one by one. Well, my number one is definitely meal planning, so that’s where I’m starting…
Here’s what I did this morning:
That’s just some of the food that I’ll be stocking the fridge at the gym with for the next few days. As long as I prepare ahead of time, it will be no problem to make the right choices on a daily basis.
Once I get home from work, I’ll be walking into a kitchen with even more healthy options. This weekend Jess and I hit the grocery store and stocked up on steaks, chicken, fish, lamb, veggies, fruit, nuts, etc… A well stocked fridge makes nightly meals more exciting. I’ve been all too guilty of letting the fridge get a little barren and calling in Thai, Chipotle, and other not-so-great reinforcements for back-up.
- My own training. Yes, I work out more than most people do. Yes, I have my own gym. But, honestly, my “training” has just been self-experimentation for the last two years- and inconsistent to say the least. So, that’s about to change as well. I called in the best strength coach I know to do some programming for me. I’ve been saying I’m going to deadlift 500# for over a year now- and the time is now…
Seems odd considering he’s the one I have the little bet with, but I think I can trust him to get me there…
As for the business (the physical location in Dulles, VA…), I’ve got something BIG in the works! After reading and listening to things from Alwyn Cosgrove, Dan John, and Joe Dowdell about programming with heart rate monitors, I’ve been experimenting a lot with them on myself, Todd, Scott Tribby from Ranfone Training, and a handful of my guys. If you purchased the MMA Monster program last week, it was in there as well.
This has led me to make some BIG changes to the facility for the near future. I have a conference call on Friday to get the ball rolling… I’m excited to write more about this in the coming weeks! Stay tuned!
Latest posts by Chris Merritt (see all)
- Painful Shoulders, the Kettlebell Arm Bar, and Neck Packing – January 31, 2014
- Applying The Basic Concept of Triphasic Training – January 13, 2014
- What’s my problem? – July 9, 2013
- Conditioning the MMA Athlete – June 19, 2013
- Fast Cars, Hot Chicks, Big Muscles And The Meaning Of Life – June 3, 2013